Hi,

Simon McVittie <s...@debian.org> (2019-03-02):

> In the absence of other progress, I've staged this in git. I'll release
> it soon if nobody else in the team gets there first. The resulting
> metapackage appears to be installable on a s390x buster qemu VM with only
> sid as an apt source (so, only able to see the version of gjs in sid that
> we want to migrate, and not the one in buster that we want to supersede).
>
> On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 at 18:10:01 +0100, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> > My worry if I were to do that is that the installer would still offer to
> > install
> > GNOME on s390x, and I don't know what would happen if one chose that (I
> > suppose
> > apt would realise it's uninstallable and give a proper error, but maybe
> > things
> > would explode).
> >
> > So if we're going to make task-gnome-desktop uninstallable there, maybe the
> > installer shouldn't offer to install it, and that needs changes somewhere in
> > tasksel or d-i.
>
> Some questions whose answers I think might be relevant to determining
> how much effort is justifiable here:
>
> * Do s390x users install with debian-installer?
> * If so, do they install desktop tasks that way?
> * Does GNOME (the desktop, as opposed to individual apps) work on s390x
>   in earlier Debian releases? (If, as I suspect, the answer is "we don't
>   know, nobody has tried it" then that is itself useful information.)

I don't have any answers here. My searching debian-boot@ for “s390x” in
the body and “installation-report” in the subject returned this small
list of bug reports: #575682, #296930, #608407, #694771, #851790,
#859889, #923524 (which you know about…).

Anyway, just to confirm: if one hacks an archive to get gnome-core out
of the amd64's Packages file, tasksel (run from a chroot rather than
from d-i, configured with this hacked repository) still lists the gnome
desktop task as an available option…

Cheers,
--
Cyril Brulebois (k...@debian.org)            <https://debamax.com/>