I have a large number of scanned images of photographs. They are
scanned from prints, and for some images there are several prints. I
would like to find a program that would group similar images (similar
in some sense that approximates human perception of similarity) and
flags the slight differences within a group. I've looked on Google and
found a few programs for criminal investigation but they want $ and
seem only to exist for Windows, which I don't have here.

I imagine that similarities could be found by image subtraction with
minimization of some measure of image difference. But I also imagine
that there are a host of complications.

Suggestions?
--
Paul E Condon