The so-called "Normalized Compression Distance" measure (NCD) can be
used for this kind of thing.  I used it for OCR of handwritten digits
in the paper "Clustering by Compression". You will probably have to
fiddle with a small script to translate each image into a new file
that is uncompressed and probably quantized in both pixelspace and
colorspace.  You can group similar images using "maketree" but it will
only do about 200 images at a time maximum before it is too slow on
most computers.  Just check out the libcomplearn and libqsearch
packages to find out more, or have a look on [1].

Best regards,

Rudi

[1]: http://complearn.org/

On Feb 6, 2008 6:11 PM, Paul E Condon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a large number of scanned images of photographs. They are
> scanned from prints, and for some images there are several prints. I
> would like to find a program that would group similar images (similar
> in some sense that approximates human perception of similarity) and
> flags the slight differences within a group. I've looked on Google and
> found a few programs for criminal investigation but they want $ and
> seem only to exist for Windows, which I don't have here.
>
> I imagine that similarities could be found by image subtraction with
> minimization of some measure of image difference. But I also imagine
> that there are a host of complications.
>
> Suggestions?
> --
> Paul E Condon
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> --

Which is worse, ignorance or apathy?  Who knows?  Who cares? --Erich Schubert