On 6 February 2008 at 19:11, Paul E Condon wrote:
| I have a large number of scanned images of photographs. They are
| scanned from prints, and for some images there are several prints. I
| would like to find a program that would group similar images (similar
| in some sense that approximates human perception of similarity) and
| flags the slight differences within a group. I've looked on Google and
| found a few programs for criminal investigation but they want $ and
| seem only to exist for Windows, which I don't have here.
|
| I imagine that similarities could be found by image subtraction with
| minimization of some measure of image difference. But I also imagine
| that there are a host of complications.
|
| Suggestions?

The R statistical environment can also read images. IIRC it builds eg
matrices of RGB values from pixeled images. You can then use various
statistical measures to analyse those images.  Usual caveat: that's not what
I use R for, so your mileage may vary.

A quick grep among the by now well over 1000 CRAN packages:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> links -dump
http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/PACKAGES.html | grep -i image
   adimpro                   Adaptive Smoothing of Digital Images
   biOps                     Image processing and analysis
   biOpsGUI                  GUI for Basic image operations
   epsi                      Edge Preserving Smoothing for Images
   kza                       Kolmogorov-Zurbenko Adaptive Filter for Image
   PET                       Simulation and Reconstruction of PET Images
   pixmap                    Bitmap Images ("Pixel Maps")
   rimage                    Image Processing Module for R
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~>

There may well be more.  None of these packages are in Debian (even though we
have some 60 or so) but are typically just a matter of

        $ R CMD INSTALL someCRANSourcePkg.tar.gz

which you may want to run as root, or give a -l location argument to where
you can write.

Cheers, Dirk