Paul E Condon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have a large number of scanned images of photographs. They are
> scanned from prints, and for some images there are several prints. I
> would like to find a program that would group similar images (similar
> in some sense that approximates human perception of similarity) and
> flags the slight differences within a group. I've looked on Google and
> found a few programs for criminal investigation but they want $ and
> seem only to exist for Windows, which I don't have here.

You might try ImgSeek <http://www.imgseek.net/>

    imgSeek is a photo collection manager and viewer with content-based
    search and many other features. The query is expressed either as a rough
    sketch painted by the user or as another image you supply (or an image in
    your collection). The searching algorithm makes use of multiresolution
    wavelet decomposition of the query and database images.

Andreas
--
Andreas Hirczy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                   http://itp.tugraz.at/~ahi/
Graz University of Technology                          phone: +43/316/873-81 90