On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 07:09:28AM +0900, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> From: Phillip Hofmeister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Some more port closing questions
> Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:49:44 -0400

> > On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 at 09:25:40PM +0900, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > Perhaps update-rc.d or rcconf (as I posted earlier) can be used to get
> > > the desired behavior -- but I do think that being asked by default at
> > > installation time whether to start stuff up at boot time is better
> > > behavior than the current behavior.

> > Boy...you should get together withthe folks on debian-devel that say
> > the install asks TOO many questions for a beginner to Linux...it would
> > make a good flame war <G>

> It seems like you could just have a mode w/o many/any questions and a
> mode that asks all the questions that are available -- i.e. Beginners
> can have a beginner's mode of installation, and non-beginners can have
> a non-beginner installation mode...no?

You mean like maybe assigning different questions different priorities,
and letting the user choose the priority which a question needs to have
before it is asked, with some default assumed otherwise?

Excellent idea. I can't see how we could get this far without such a
system. ;-)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.

use, duplication and distribution.