Thanks to everyone who helped  me before!... Now I have a somewhat more
complicated looking problem. :(.

I'm trying to dial into my ISP using PPP. (At this point I haven't done any
extra configuration besides network config info that the debian setup asks
for).
In X, I startup minicom, dial, and login manually. It then tells me that it
has started PPP and to start my PPP, whereupon it starts displaying the
usual garbage.
I open a bash term and type pppd, and it starts displaying its garbage.
I open another bash term, and try to ping my ISP's domain server, and it
tells me that the network is unreachable. :(. Afew seconds later, minicom
hungup.
My ppp.log says
Dec 24 22:56:58 jade pppd[325]: pppd 2.2.0 started by root, uid 0
Dec 24
22:56:58 jade pppd[325]: Using interface ppp0
Dec 24 22:56:58 jade
pppd[325]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyp2
Dec 24 22:57:28 jade pppd[325]:
LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Dec 24 22:57:28 jade pppd[325]:
Connection terminated.
Dec 24 22:57:28 jade pppd[325]: Receive serial link
is not 8-bit clean:
Dec 24 22:57:28 jade pppd[325]: Problem: nothing was
received
Dec 24 22:57:28 jade pppd[325]: Exit.

So, then I follow the configuration instructions in section 6 (Network
Installation) of the Debian Users Guide. Putting... (Most of which was
there already).
/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 jade

/etc/resolv.conf
domain cablenett.net
search cablenett.net
nameserver 196.3.144.2
nameserver 196.3.144.3

/etc/host.conf
order hosts,bind
multi on

/etc/ppp/options
debug

/dev/ttyS0
38400
modem
crtscts
lock
connect /etc/ppp/ppp-connect
asyncmap 0
defaultroute

Then I try again, going through the same process as described before. This
time, my PPP doesn't output anything, pinging the DNS server's IP still
generates a network unreachable message, I still get hungup, and the PPP
log also says:
Dec 24 23:10:28 jade pppd[350]: pppd 2.2.0 started by root, uid 0
Dec 24
23:10:28 jade pppd[350]: Device ttyS0 is locked by pid 321
Dec 24 23:10:28
jade pppd[350]: Exit.

Something is really weird because, previously, I was using RedHat for a
while and the same stuff with network unreachable messages and getting
hungup would happen. :(.

Can anyone help me?
Thanks alot!!!
Timothy