Timothy Hospedales wrote:
> In X, I startup minicom, dial, and login manually. It then tells me that it
> has started PPP and to start my PPP, whereupon it starts displaying the
> usual garbage.
> I open a bash term and type pppd, and it starts displaying its garbage.
> I open another bash term, and try to ping my ISP's domain server, and it
> tells me that the network is unreachable. :(. Afew seconds later, minicom
> hungup.

This is normal, considering the way you are trying to do it. Read on...

> /etc/ppp/options
> debug
>
> /dev/ttyS0
> 38400
> modem
> crtscts
> lock
> connect /etc/ppp/ppp-connect
> asyncmap 0
> defaultroute
>
> Then I try again, going through the same process as described before. This
> time, my PPP doesn't output anything, pinging the DNS server's IP still
> generates a network unreachable message, I still get hungup, and the PPP
> log also says:
> Dec 24 23:10:28 jade pppd[350]: pppd 2.2.0 started by root, uid 0
> Dec 24
> 23:10:28 jade pppd[350]: Device ttyS0 is locked by pid 321
> Dec 24 23:10:28
> jade pppd[350]: Exit.

You are closer here. ttyS0 is locked by your minicom session. Forget
minicom. All the info you need to dial should be in /etc/ppp/ppp-connect.
Edit that file and put in the info needed, and then simply type

pppd

as root at a shell prompt.

Tim

--
 (work) [EMAIL PROTECTED] / (home) [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
           "You cannot paint the 'Mona Lisa' by assigning one dab