On Sat, Jul 31, 1999 at 10:34:09PM -0400, Salman Ahmed wrote:
> At 09:25 PM 7/31/99 , you wrote:
> >*- On 31 Jul, Ed Cogburn wrote about "Re: Initial thoughts about Debian 2.1
> >(and I need some help!)"
> >>    I suggested using 'mingetty' as it by default will clear the
> >> screen at logout.  Its also smaller than the default getty (I'm
> >> pretty sure).
> >>
> >Yep!
> >
> ># ls -l /sbin/getty /sbin/mingetty
> >  14 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        13228 Jun 24 20:27 /sbin/getty*
> >   9 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         8232 Nov 22  1997 /sbin/mingetty*
> >
> >You could also add a vt escape code to the top of the /etc/issue if
> >mingetty is not an option.
> >
> >clear > /tmp/clear.txt       # clear is in ncurses-bin
> >cat /tmp/clear.txt /etc/issue > /etc/issue.clear
> >mv /etc/issue /etc/issue.noclear
> >mv /etc/issue.clear /etc/issue
> >
> Ok. Just curious, but what's the proper/canonical way to do this ? I am
> using tcsh, so what file(s) would I have to modify ?
>
> Why is this not the default behaviour ?
>
> In some multi-user environments this type of behaviour (ie the screen not
> getting cleared after a user has logged out) could almost be considered
> a security risk seeing as how another user could see what the last user
> had been doing. Granted this is not that big of a deal but I am surprised to
> see this as default behaviour in Debian when other distros like RH already
> do this by default. I am just curious, not wanting to start a flame war!!

One way this could be done is to install the linuxlogo package
and configure it to display at the login prompt.  It displays the
new Debian logo (the potato version does, anyway) along with some
system information, effectively clearing the screen when you log
out.

Also, if you are using the bash shell, you could create a
~/.bash_logout file and include a 'clear' command.

Check the manpage or texinfo page for your shell to see if it
supports something like this.

Mike

[Private mail welcome, but no need to CC: me on list replies.]
--
Michael Merten
          ---> E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]