recovery...@gmail.com wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Sudo has been on HP-UX, SunOS, Solaris, IBM AIX and others for
> > many years.  It isn't anything new.  It is a good worthy tool.
>
> This is not entirely correct. Sudo is considered third-party software
> in HP-UX (HP merely builds it and doesn't install by default), AIX (not
> provided by IBM and therefore not supported) and Solaris (third-party
> software without any support in versions =< 10). About the only
> exception is Solaris 11 which provides sudo in default install (and it
> is configured the same way as in Ubuntu by default).

It is certainly fair that you would take exception to my words (since
I often do that to others!) but I said "on" those not "distributed by"
them.  ;-)  I didn't say the vendor distributed it.

Most of those systems ship very little by their vendors.  I have used
them for many years and almost all of the software that you will use
on those systems will have been compiled and installed by the local
admin.  IMNHO they are mainly a good solid base upon which you as the
local admin build the working system upon.  And for me if we are
talking about what we compile locally from source I would need to look
but the list is several hundred packages long!

> Considering that primary usage of sudo is to provide controlled
> privilege escalation to uid=0, using unsupported (therefore - not
> updated unless local sysadmins care about security) sudo on these
> OSes is basically equivalent to giving everyone uid=0.

You left the large "unless local sysadmins care about security" escape
clause there.  But what about if the local admin *does* care about
security?  In that case you can have a system with _better_ security
than that provided by the vendor.

And even in the case of an overworked and somewhat slack admin the
system security with source sudo installed but old is probably about
the same as the provided by the vendor.  Vendors don't update their
software that often and usually not without something pushing them to
do so.

For improved security a system with many eyes upon the code such as
Debian is much better.  Anyone using a traditional legacy Unix system
today is most likely not using it for the security of the system but
for other aspects of it.

Bob