John Hasler wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> > I just tried a minimum installation of Debian Wheezy in a VM and
> > rpcbind was not installed.  Are you sure it is installed by default?
>
> Rpcbind is priority standard.  It is neither "essential" nor
> "required".  Thus whether it is installed by default or not depends on
> how you define a minimum installation.

Ah!  That explains it.  I had nothing in tasksel checked.  But if I do
check "Standard system" then rpcbind is installed.  That explains it.

I usually don't install the "Standard" system because that installs
Exim (a find tool) but I always install Postfix which much then push
it out.  Therefore I never select standard system and always install
Postfix and other things later.  That is how I missed it.  But I would
consider the "Standard system utilities" selection to be a normal
small Debian install.

I don't think rpcbind should be priority standard these days.  I
wonder if it would be possible to convince people that it should be
demoted to installed only as a dependency instead.  Or if it is needed
to learn why it is still needed.

Thanks!
Bob