Reco wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Is 'rpcbind' installed by default?  I will need to look.  I wonder why
> > it would be there?
>
> Part of a NFS client, I guess. Package is not marked as an essential one,
> though. Running a diskless client over NFS would be a curious trick
> without NFS support enabled.

NFS client is not enabled by default.  So that wouldn't be it.

I just tried a minimum installation of Debian Wheezy in a VM and
rpcbind was not installed.  Are you sure it is installed by default?

> > CVE-2010-0427 is a local only exploit.  (Failure to reset group
> > permissions properly.)  So it would need to be a locally known user in
> > order to exploit it.  Not the same as having written the password on a
> > T-shirt and wearing it around.
>
> I fail to see how one could be given an SSH access to the host, be able
> to use sudo (and do so successfully), and still not be a local user.
> I must miss something here, can you please enlighten me?

You said "using outdated sudo is an equivalent to wearing T-shirt with
a root password written on it as an end result will be the same."  I
was refuting that statement.  It isn't even close to being the same.
Using sudo would require a local user exploit.  You seem to agree that
it would require a local user to exploit it.  Having the root password
publicly known does not require a local user.  They are not the same
class of issue at all.  Not even close.

Bob