On 05/26/2014 11:02 AM, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:

> I know this problem has been discussed endlessly online, but i cant
> get any of the suggestions to work.
>
> I have a Debian laptop that, when im at home, I mount via nfs to a
> local fileserver. Sometimes for no clear reason, i cant unmount it,
> and when this happens, i cant put the laptop to sleep. There's no
> swap on this drive, and it's not an encrypted filesystem. There are
> no symbolic links pointing to this device. I dont think anything is
> accessing the device, and I'm not in a directory on this disk, but
> nothing to figure this out works:

As confirmed elsewhere, "lazy unmount" gets this unmounted and lets you
suspend the laptop.

As far as the hangs themselves - first, I'd like to clarify something.

You say you mount the laptop by NFS to a local fileserver. I'm not clear
which direction you mean the mounting is done in.

That is:

Machine A has a NFS share defined.

Machine B runs an appropriate NFS mount command, and gains access to
files which are stored on machine A.

Is the laptop machine A, or machine B?

The former is what your phrasing ("I ... mount [the laptop] via NFS to a
local fileserver") leads me to expect, but the latter would be the more
common scenario.

Either way, I have an idea about what could be causing the hangs to
occur, but the exact scenario would be different depending on the answer
to that question.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.