> On Monday, May 26, 2014 12:32 PM, The Wanderer <wande...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>

> On 05/26/2014 11:02 AM, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
>
>>  I know this problem has been discussed endlessly online, but i cant
>>  get any of the suggestions to work.
>>
>>  I have a Debian laptop that, when im at home, I mount via nfs to a
>>  local fileserver. Sometimes for no clear reason, i cant unmount it,
>>  and when this happens, i cant put the laptop to sleep. There's no
>>  swap on this drive, and it's not an encrypted filesystem. There are
>>  no symbolic links pointing to this device. I dont think anything is
>>  accessing the device, and I'm not in a directory on this disk, but
>>  nothing to figure this out works:
>
> As confirmed elsewhere, "lazy unmount" gets this unmounted and lets
> you
> suspend the laptop.
>
> As far as the hangs themselves - first, I'd like to clarify something.
>
> You say you mount the laptop by NFS to a local fileserver. I'm not clear
> which direction you mean the mounting is done in.
>

> That is:
>
> Machine A has a NFS share defined.
>
> Machine B runs an appropriate NFS mount command, and gains access to
> files which are stored on machine A.
>
> Is the laptop machine A, or machine B?
>
> The former is what your phrasing ("I ... mount [the laptop] via NFS to a
> local fileserver") leads me to expect, but the latter would be the more
> common scenario.

Yes, that's right. I have a fileserver at home that has an NFS share defined;
this share is used by various machines on my home network, and by the laptop
when i have the laptop at home. As said elsewhere in thread, i mount the share
on
the laptop by saying

  $ sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.1.5:/volume1/DiskStation /mnt/RemoteDisk

where 192.168.1.5 is the address of the fileserver, and /volume1/DiskStation is
the
NFS share.

When im leaving home and the laptop doesnt need access to this, i (try to)
unmount
the share so i can suspend the laptop and leave.

Does that help?