On 05/26/2014 12:40 PM, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:

> On Monday, May 26, 2014 12:32 PM, The Wanderer <wande...@fastmail.fm>
> wrote:

>> As far as the hangs themselves - first, I'd like to clarify
>> something.
>>
>> You say you mount the laptop by NFS to a local fileserver. I'm not
>> clear which direction you mean the mounting is done in.
>>

>> That is:
>>
>> Machine A has a NFS share defined.
>>
>> Machine B runs an appropriate NFS mount command, and gains access
>> to files which are stored on machine A.
>>
>> Is the laptop machine A, or machine B?
>>
>> The former is what your phrasing ("I ... mount [the laptop] via NFS
>> to a local fileserver") leads me to expect, but the latter would be
>> the more common scenario.
>
> Yes, that's right. I have a fileserver at home that has an NFS share
> defined; this share is used by various machines on my home network,
> and by the laptop when i have the laptop at home.

So the laptop is machine B, then?

That fits with the sort of scenario I would have expected. It's just
that I read "mount [a machine] via NFS" as "mount a directory that's
being shared by [a machine] over NFS", so I found the phrasing confusing.

By any chance, when the suspend failure and NFS hang occurs, is there an
'updatedb' or 'updatedb.mlocate' process running on the laptop?

updatedb normally runs once a day, by cron job, and scans all mounted
filesystems for changes. It's supposed to ignore any filesystems of
types listed in the PRUNEFS variable in /etc/updatedb.conf ; however,
there appears to be a longstanding bug such that it does not in fact do
this for (some?) NFS mounts. I can dig up one or more existing Debian
bug reports for this if necessary.

If the NFS filesystem is unavailable at the time when updatedb tries to
access it - e.g. because the laptop has been suspended, taken out of
range of the appropriate server, and woken back up - then updatedb will
block waiting on the NFS access. (In theory it should resume
automatically when the server becomes available again, but I don't know
how reliable that behavior is.)

> When im leaving home and the laptop doesnt need access to this, i
> (try to) unmount the share so i can suspend the laptop and leave.

If you always do unmount the share before taking the laptop off-network
in this way, or if the problem sometimes occurs even when you did
remember to unmount it, then I'm probably barking up the wrong tree.

However, if you ever suspend the laptop with the NFS share mounted, then
wake it up again while not connected to the appropriate network to talk
to the fileserver, that could produce the behavior you're seeing.

(The behavior could also occur if e.g. the laptop connects only
wirelessly, and the wireless network connection drops during the time
when updatedb wants to be scanning that filesystem. That's a less likely
scenario, however.)

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.