On Wed 14 Sep 2016 at 11:34:31 -0400, Alan McConnell wrote:

> From: "Felix Miata" <mrma...@earthlink.net>
>
> It does seem curious that the Debian installer would need knowledge of a
> particular Windows version in order to provide a boot menu selection for it,
> rather than simply having one that says "Windows", booting from whatever
> non-native/NTFS filesystem it happens to find containing anything resembling
> boot sector code.

This following quotes beginning with > are from Alan McConnell.

>          Yep.  I have been back to my Jessie in the meantime, and run
> os-prober.
>          I didn't attempt to copy down on a piece of paper what it wrote;
> trust me
>          that it was unenlightening garbage.

What is "unenlightening" to you may not be unenlightening to others;
trust me on that. "garbage" is *your* value judgement; nobody can
dispute it (except in the abstract) but it unlikely to be in that
category. But you did get an output; you have no idea how interesting
that is.

We Debian users yearn for the day when copy 'n paste and USB sticks are
invented. It will make things so much easier to move information (which
is severely lacking from you in this thread) about.

> > Should you be game to try installing Jessie again, you might try a network
> > installation started via a Stretch installer.
>          Jeez!  I can't even run X11 on my present install(*) let alone get on
>          line.

You claimed to be unable to install libreoffice when installing GNOME:

    I decided to bite the bullet/go with the flow, and
    install GNOME, the whole thing.  Which I did, and
    it took just short of an hour.  For some reason,
    Libreoffice was not installed.

This is completely impossible using 'apt-get install gnome', of course.
Not unless the Debian packaging system has a gaping hole in it. But it
happened to you (and nobody else). A mishapprension on your part?

Now it is X; X works fine for everyone; a mishapprension on your part? At
another time it was cups; a mishapprension on your part? Where to next?
How many more mishapprensions devoid of usable data are there going to
be?.

> (*)  Does anyone here know how to create a .Xauthority file?  That is one of
> the
> things the Jessie installer failed to provide me with.

You've asked this five months ago:

    Does anyone know how to create an .Xauthority with xauth?
    I find the man page of xauth pretty impenetrable.

You are probably asking the wrong question.

--
Brian.