Hi,

On Wed, 05 May 2021 09:51:59 +0200
"Thomas Schmitt" <scdbac...@gmx.net> wrote:

(...)
> The reason for not eternally offering videos for download is in the
> legal framework of german state TV. (In german:
> "Rundfunkstaatsvertrag", now "Medienstaatsvertrag".)
>
> State run TV collects mandatory fees from all households for the purpose
> of broadcasting radio and TV. When the internet became important for
> publishing, the private german newspaper publishers and TV stations
> objected that the state run TV used those fees for financing a strong
> web appearance. The compromise, which is now law, was the rule that
> videos and audio are publicly available only for a limited time.
>
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96ffentlich-rechtlicher_Rundfunk#Engagement_im_Internet
>   https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depublizieren

I know, but that does not really explain why they bother to block
third-party uploads on yt, there are lots of material there hwre they
apparently don't care, like these two quickly collected examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhGC1O0gZNI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnH10TfhkOQ

> We had cases of self-censoring which led to depublication. I remember
> the song "Meine Oma ist 'ne alte Umweltsau" (= "My granny is an old
> environmental hog"), sung by a children choir and produced by TV station
> WDR in 2019. That video was retracted after conservative politicians
> complained about the insult towards their main voter group.
>   https://www.sueddeutsche.de/medien/wdr-umweltsau-kinderchor-satire-1.4738637

Yeah, I remember that one, and particularly its aftermath; is there an
English word for "Realsatire"? Priceless! :-)

Still seems to be available on yt, though.

> But i really do not see any such censoring with the video about
> environmental problems with electrical cars. It was aired and then
> available for two months. Business as good or bad as ever.

Sure, I agree about that. For some reason they care enough to make yt
block the video for Germany, but that has nothing to do with
"censorship". It think it might even be possible that they found enough
factual errors in the film that they prefer to withdraw it.

Regards

Michael

Vulcans never bluff.
                -- Spock, "The Doomsday Machine", stardate 4202.1