On Sat 31 Jul 2021 at 14:37:49 +0100, mick crane wrote:

> On 2021-07-31 13:18, Brian wrote:
> > On Sat 31 Jul 2021 at 10:20:43 +0100, mick crane wrote:
> >
> > > On 2021-07-30 18:30, Brian wrote:
> > > <...>
> > > looking at those informative pages I think /dev/sg2 is the scanner
> > > should that not be in group scanner ?
> > >
> > > root@pumpkin:/# ls -l /dev |grep cdrom
> > > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           3 Jul 30 17:36 cdrom -> sr0
> > > crw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom    21,   2 Jul 30 17:36 sg2
> > > brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom    11,   0 Jul 30 17:36 sr0
> >
> > I don't see why it should be. I too have
> >
> >   crw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom    21,   2 Jul 30 17:36 sg1
> >
> > on bullseye. Note the +. Its an ACL. systemd, and libpam-systemd have
> > taken care of the correct permissions on the scanner device file. Try
> >
> >   getfacl /dev/sg2
> >
> > (Did you ever say in this thread what the printer/scanner is?)
>
> I thought it was in there, it's fujitsu fi-5750c

Thanks. The device appears to date from about 2007. I am surprised
that SANE's escl backend detects it and that scanning with

  xsane "escl:fi-5750Cdj:107245"

is possible. (Just a comment and nothing to do with your issues).

> The scanbd.conf says
> user saned
> group scanner

It is the saned user that has to be in the scanner group, not your
user.

  grep scanner /etc/groups
  cat /etc/default/saned

> I'm wondering if this is why I'm having difficulty saving scans anywhere
> other than /tmp
> and getting permission denied writing to a file with a script both in
> /etc/scanbd/scripts called from scanbd.conf

Probably not.

> How to find which is the scanner in /dev if it is supposed to be there?
> Xsane works fine.

I thought it was /dev/sg2.

--
Brian.