On Sat 31 Jul 2021 at 17:17:29 +0100, mick crane wrote:

> On 2021-07-31 16:32, Brian wrote:
>
> >   grep scanner /etc/groups
> >   cat /etc/default/saned
> >
> I keep thinking it should be groups and not group as well.

An embarassing typo :).

> me and saned are in scanner group
> /etc/default/saned
> RUN_AS_USER=saned

You do not need to be in the scanner group. This requirement disappeared
years ago but it still gets repeated (ad nauseam). See

  https://wiki.debian.org/Scanner#perms

> > > How to find which is the scanner in /dev if it is supposed to be
> > > there?
> > > Xsane works fine.
> >
> > I thought it was /dev/sg2.
> I said I thought it might be sg2 and wondered how to find out.

Scanners are treated as SCSI devices and therefore come under /dev/sg*.
Look for the + and use getfacl.

As a really naff method, move the device file out of the way and see
whether you can scan.

--
Brian.