On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 06:00:53AM -0700, Keith Christian wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 7:33 AM Tixy <t...@yxit.co.uk> wrote:
> > I assume because Buster isn't in Long Term Support yet, it's still in
> > normal support by the security team. From the schedule on the wiki,
> > it's due to go into LTS this July.
>
> Thanks Tixy,
>
> I remembered that I made a copy of the original sources.list file on
> the day of install.
> Here it is, I wonder why the security line failed to verify (Line 11) ?
> The entire sources.list appears below.
>
> # Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:
> #deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main

Only someone who was present for the installation would know for sure,
but at the time, the installer was unable to contact that web site.
Could have been due to missing network interface firmware, or a transient
DNS problem, or ... who knows?

> It seems this line should be uncommented?
>
> #deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates main

Yes.

> =============LISTING START
> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.orig
> #
>
> # deb cdrom:[Official Debian GNU/Linux Live 10.0.0 kde
> 2019-07-06T10:52]/ buster main
>
> #deb cdrom:[Official Debian GNU/Linux Live 10.0.0 kde
> 2019-07-06T10:52]/ buster main
>
> deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main
> deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ buster main

But that one worked?  Interesting.  That points more toward an issue
with DNS or with the (small) set of security.debian.org servers, rather
than something like missing firmware which would have affected all
network activity during the installation.