Le 20/06/2023 à 09:13, gene heskett a écrit :

That needs a better explanation, Felix. As I see it, wayland can't run as root, so no app that needs root works with wayland. Since package managers with a gui need wayland, all the package managers that do have a gui, are now dead except gnome packages, a poor but usable substitute whose search function seems broken to me.
[...]

Hello Gene,

Sorry but I do think you are confusing things:

- a problem being precisely that nowadays apps do not "need root".
For years, due to security reasons, it has been avoided to run whole GUI apps (or a whole graphical environment like Xorg) as root. What is done nowadays is according privileged access to *parts* of these apps that demand it, via a Polkit mechanism:
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/polkit/docs/latest/polkit.8.html

- Synaptic does not need Wayland, it can run on Wayland.

- On a standard Debian 12 (Gnome) installation, Synaptic works OOTB