On 6/20/23 16:01, Charles Curley wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 13:37:01 -0400
gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

Gene, this is a long shot. Do you have any KDE or qt components
installed?
in packagekit:
kde search = desktop-base, girl.2-webkit2, libblockdev2,
libblockdev-crypto2, libblockdev-fs2, libblockdev-loop2,
libblockdev-part2, libblockdec-oart-err2, libblockdev-swap2,
libblockdev-utils2, libwebkit2gtk-4, networkmanager-gnome-1.2,
ruby-debian-0.3, shared-mime-info-2, sound-theme-freedesktop,
xfwm4-4, xiccd-0.3

qt search = dbus, libcwidget4, libdbus, printer-driver-cups-pdf

Hmmm. I run XFCE4 here, with a large chunk of KDE installed in order to
use some KDE/qt applications. I am not familiar with packagekit, so I'm
not familiar with its output. I conjecture from this output that you
don't have anywhere near as much of KDE/qt installed as I do.

My long-shot hypothesis is that synaptic, in spite of being a GTK+
application, uses KDE/qt (or something those pulled in) to access the
display.

Maybe someone who knows a lot more about X, Wayland, and how all this
plays together than I do can comment?

That's exactly what I'm hoping will happen here, someone in the know who can name what I need to install. My fav editor, geany is also dead for roots use for exactly he same reason, but runs just fine as me. So there is a common problem.

Thanks Charles.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis