On Dec 01, 2023, gene heskett wrote:
> On 12/1/23 05:41, Dan Purgert wrote:

> > > At risk of repeating myself forever, I don't need an unstable address, I
> > > don't want whatever the heck is left in the pool. Hosts files do that,
> > > dhcp
> > > doesn't. It just hands out the next number in the pool.  hosts files are
> > > static. A forveer lease.
> >
> > DHCP will only hand out the "next" ('unstable') address to a host that
> > currently has no valid lease AND does not have a reservation set on the
> > DHCP server.  Reservations are based on host MAC address.
> >
> > Any host that has a valid lease will renew that lease indefinitely, at
> > lease half-life (and if the DHCP server happens to be missing at
> > half-life, retry at 7/8ths ).
>
> Assuming I install a dhcp SERVER on this machine, how do I edit the
> client.conf on that machine to query this one?, and how to I enable this
> "reservation" on this SERVER so it hands out a stable address ONLY if the
> reservation matches? Point me at the docs please and I'll go away.

You don't tell the client anything.  DHCP is initiated by a broadcast
from a client looking for an IP address.

Reservation syntax depends on which DHCP server you're using.  If it's
isc-dhcp-server (predecessor to kea; though I've not yet migrated to
kea), then, in the 'subnet' directive, you add a "host" directive.

The isc-dhcp-server example config file (and html manual) cover the
syntax in greater detail, but here's a short example:

  subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    range 192.168.1.100 192.168.1.199;
    [... DNS, default gateway, etc ...]

    host thePrinter {
      hardware ethernet 00:12:34:56:78:9A;