Hi Gene,

On Fri, Jan 12, 2024 at 11:57:23PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> On 1/12/24 21:56, Andy Smith wrote:
> > No it doesn't; smartctl works on drives, not mdadm arrays. mdadm
> > arrays are composed of block devices. Therefore any output you get
> > from smartd refers to a storage drive, not an mdadm array.
> >
> This appears to be true, there are 4 1t drives as a raid10, and the various
> messages in that mbox file name 3 of the individual drives.

Messages you do not show us, meanwhile the rest of your report is
littered with errors, so I'm afraid I can't take you at your word
until you show me.

I repeat, smartd only works with whole drives. Those emails will
show device paths for whole drives.

> But those individual drives cannot now be found by smartctl.

You have not yet demonstrated use of a single correct smartctl
command even though I literally told you what to type.

> individually it names /dev/sde1, /dev/sdg1, and
> /dev/sdd1.

I don't believe that you have an email from smartctl saying any of
that. So please show us. Again, it would be plausible for
these emails to mention /dev/sde etc.

> > As usual you have not bothered to show us what you are talking about
> > (the email from smartd), so we are left to guess. We should not
> > assume that it even says what you think it says.
>
> copy paste from another shell:
> gene@coyote:~$ sudo smartctl -i -d /dev/sde1

Here is what I said, which is quoted above, but I'll repeat it here
for emphasis:

> As usual you have not bothered to show us what you are talking
> about (THE EMAIL FROM SMARTD)

You then proceed to show us something that is not the email from
smartd — that is the very topic of your email — but just repeat the
output of a command that I already advised you was erroneously
formed.

> blkid does not sort them in order either. And of coarse does not list whats
> unmounted, forcing me to ident the drive by gparted in order to get its
> device name. From that I might be able to construct another raid from the 8T
> of 4 2T drives but its confusing as hell when the first of those 2T drives
> is assigned /dev/sde and the next 4 on the new controller are /dev/sdi, j,
> k, & l.

WHAT ON EARTH are you talking about. You start off by complaining
about an email that you don't show us, by email two you are on about
tearing your RAID apart and making a new one, all without a shred of
relevant information or the first idea of how to show the status of
anything.

You are working blind here, DO NOT DO ANYTHING until you fully
understand what is going on.

Start with your first concern which was these emails from smartd.
SHOW THEM TO US.

> > or, heck, get all the info at once:
> >
> > # smartctl -a /dev/sde

> > If there is anything in that output that you have questions about,
> > please make sure to quote the full and unedited output back here to
> > the list, so we aren't left guessing what the subject of
> > discussion is.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Andy
> >
> /dev/sde1 has been formatted and mounted, what cmd line will copy every byte
> including locked files in that that raid10 to it?

!?

For the love of God can someone, anyone, any intelligent entity
out there, explain to me how I could have been ANY MORE EXPLICIT
about the need for you to run a single command that I specified and
show us the output of it?

And did you do that?

No, apparently you have nuked a drive that we don't know the status
of.

Incredible.

Let's just assume for a second that we can just ignore everything
you have said previously and focus on your last question about
copying data, why would anyone even both responding given that as
demonstrated here you are prepared to ignore even the most basic
explicit advice and do something insane like nuke a whole drive?

Just what is the point?

Lost for words.