Gene Heskett wrote:

>I'm looking for a solution to a broken install, all caused by the
>installer finding a plugged in FDTI usb-serial adapter so it
>automatically assumed I was blind and automatically installed brltty and
>orca, which are not removable once installed without ripping the system
>apart rendering it unbootable. If orca is disabled, the system will
>_NOT_ reboot. And I catch hell for discriminating against the blind when
>I complained at the time.
>
>That took me 20+ installs to get this far because if I removed the exec
>bits on orca,  disabling it=no reboot=yet another re-install go thru the
>same thing with orca yelling at me for every keystroke entered, till
>someone took pity on me and wrote to unplug the usb stuff which looks
>like a weeping willow tree here, nothing more or less.

Gene, *stop* doing this.

When you ask for help with *one* issue (in this case, smartctl),
looping around other issues you've had in the last few years *does not
help*. It's unrelated, it obfuscates what you're saying, and it's
*intensely* frustrating to the people here who might actually be
trying to help you.

You do this *a lot*. Please focus on one thing at a time, and we might
be able to help you better. The usual advice applies:

 * Give a clear description of the problem you're seeing. Include
   command lines and command output, log entries or similar. Make it
   possible for people to actually identify the problem - vague
   descriptions make it much harder.

 * When people reply to you asking for more information, they're not
   doing that to annoy you. They're trying to understand the problem
   you've reported more, so they can help you fix it. If they ask you
   to run extra commands and report the output, *please do that*.

 * Stay on topic. If you have another issue you'd like help with, send
   a separate mail about that and have a separate thread of
   conversation about that issue. Don't mix things up.

Please think about this, and help people to help you.

>And I'm forced to conclude that a simple yes or no answer to what looks
>like a single, simple question to me, included above, is beyond you.
>Surely there is someone who /can/ answer that question.
>
>Do take care, stay warm, dry and well Andy. And unvaxed, so you might
>live to be my age.
>
>I am not. You are helpful, just not to me. That, I do not understand. It
>comes across to me that you have no time for anyone north of 50 years
>old, we are too dumb to be help when something goes south.  The only
>part of the advanced age category I fit into is the poor short term
>memory of someone 89 years old, which I am.

It's nothing to do with your age. You keep on bringing this up. People
are volunteering their time to help you. When you don't pay attention
and go wandering off-topic it makes it much harder for people to
help. I hope you can understand that.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                st...@einval.com
Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,