Hello,

On Fri, Feb 16, 2024 at 02:02:59PM -0600, David Wright wrote:
> On Fri 16 Feb 2024 at 14:48:12 (+0000), Andy Smith wrote:
> > No, because it's a filesystem label for the ext4 fs created on
> > /dev/sdz1. If sdz1 is turned into an LVM Physical Volume, there
> > won't be an ext4 filesystem on it any more. If sdz1 is turned into a
> > member of an MD array, there won't be an ext4 filesystem on it any
> > more. The labels go with the filesystem.
>
> It isn't a filesystem LABEL.

Oh dear, I am lost. I don't use gparted but at least one person in
this thread has said that Gene created a filesystem label not a
partition name, and Gene doesn't know which he created, so I've gone
from guessing partition name to fs label and now back to partition
name again.

I'm totally willing to believe that you know what you've created
there though, so fair enough.

> > You've not yet been clear about what you want, but from what little
> > information you have provided you've been told multiple times by
> > multiple people that filesystem labels won't help.
>
> … which would be moot if only Gene could create partition PARTLABELs
> successfully.

Sure, but we still don't know what Gene is trying to do or why
partition names would be useful to him so I am kind of sceptical
that this leads anywhere.

Thanks,
Andy