Hi,

On Thu, Feb 15, 2024 at 03:19:54PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> On 2/15/24 11:21, Andy Smith wrote:
> > You asked if "labels" would survive their associated partition being
> > put into LVM.
> >
> > I said, "yes if you mean partition names, no if you mean filesystem
> > labels".
> >
> I'm still confused and it is not all the well clarified by looking at
> gparted, a shot of which I posted.

This could all be answered easily if you'd just post the copy-paste
of your terminal scrollback for what you actually did. Hopefully you
don't now object to me asking what you meant since apparently even
you do not know if you mean partition names or filesystem labels.
>From what you posted it now sounds like labels on the ext4
filesystems that you created.

What you're trying to do (LVM on MD RAID?) is quite complicated and
you clearly don't have much experience in this area. That's okay but
it does mean that you're likely to make a lot of mistakes with a
thing that holds your data, so you need to be prepared for that.

For example, you mentioned only as an aside that you intended to get
two more drives and put the four of them into an LVM, but you did
not know that this would blow away the filesystems already on the
drives, and that this would not by itself provide you with any
redundancy. So if you hadn't said anything and I hadn't questioned
this, you could well have spent a lot of time creating something
that isn't correct and needs to be torn down again, possibly with
data loss.

Again that's okay — we learn by experimentation — but you're going
to have to prepare yourself for doing this over again many times.
And I also want to reiterate that you're going to have questions,
and that is good, but if we here on this list are not to be driven
insane by the ambiguities and misunderstandings, please, please,
PLEASE post logs of the commands you type on this adventure when you
ask them.

Please.

> > If you have questions, ask them.
> >
> Like which version of a raid is the best at tolerating a failed drive, which
> give he best balance between redundancy and capacity.

This is a complex subject. Before we get into it, what are you
trying to achieve? Like, what is your end goal with these four
drives?

MD RAID isn't the only way to achieve redundancy. You also haven't
explained why you need LVM. Depending on your needs, maybe a
filesystem with redundancy and volume management features in it
would be better. Like btrfs or zfs.

Given the problems you had with MD RAID in the past I still maintain
that you'd likely be better off just getting a storage appliance of
some kind.

Thanks,
Andy