Hi,

On Sat, Feb 17, 2024 at 12:46:25AM -0500, gene heskett wrote:

[38 lines of irrelevance snipped out of a 71 line email]

> I've printed drawers to fill those slots.  The top slot has a bpi-m5 in it,
> the bottom slot has a 5 volt 10 amp psu in it. slot 2 will have 2 of those
> nearly 4T SSD's in a 2 drive adapter, with full disk partitions on them, so
> obviously I should name the top one as "si-pwr-s2t". the bottom one then s/b
> si-pwr-s2b
> slot-3 then s/b si-pwr-s3t and si-pwr-s3b.
> slot-4 then is giga-s4t1 and giga-s4t2. ditto for the bottom one. named
> giga-s4b1 and giga-s4b2.  1 partition to hold amanda's database and one to
> serve as amanda's holding disk.
>
> Whats so meaningless to you that you can't see the utility in that?

I've got no issue with putting a drive identifier on the physical
caddy/drawer that holds that drive. I do it myself. You have not
ever before in this thread mentioned this, so neither I nor anyone
else has objected to it.

What I question the value of, is putting a drive identifier into a
partlabel when the id of the partition will contain all of the same
information.

I have also asked you several times what it is you intend to do
with that information in the context of a RAID array or LVM LV and
you haven't yet been able to tell me. The closest you have come so
far is saying, "I want to identify a drive when the array has
problems". As you don't specify what those problems might be, all I
am able to say to that is that you can either find the problem
device from your logs or by listing the devices in the array/LV, and
from there map to exact model and serial number from what's in the
/dev/disk/by-id/.

Now, I understand that you have multiple drives that have the same
model and serial number. I accept that if you're going to use
multiple of these in the same machine then that makes using by-id/
impossible. I've advised that I would never use multiple of these in
the same machine because they are broken and will likely cause other
problems further down the line.

So if you want to say: despite the duplicate serial number issue I
am determined to use multiple of these drives, so by-id/ is useless
to me and I will instead replicate that info in partlabels and use
/dev/disk/by-partlabel/, then okay! I don't agree with that course
of action, but it is at least a cogent argument. So say if that's
the case and we can just move on.

Thanks,
Andy