Hi,

On Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at 09:26:09PM +0100, Ralph Aichinger wrote:
> in my /etc/interfaces there is now:
>
> auto bond0
> iface bond0 inet static
>     address 10.0.16.2/24
>     bond-slaves en0 en1
>     bond-mode 4
>         bond-miimon 100
>         bond-downdelay 200
>         bond-updelay 200
>         bond-lacp-rate 1
>         bond-xmit-hash-policy layer3+4
>
> which seems to work (I could not test throughput yet, because
> I am waiting for cables).
>
> If I do this, does "ifupdown" use "ifenslave" or does it
> use "ip link set" as described here:

Last time I looked was in Debian 10 (buster) and there it does still
call ifenslave. ifupdown won't be able to bring up bond0 if
ifenslave isn't present on the system. You can verify it with "ifup
-v bond0" to see what commands it uses (assuming your networking was
down to start with, so that this would work).

> Also, above still(?) contains "bond-slaves en0 en1" so if this is
> a new implementation, is there still some terminology change to be
> expected? Or can I replace bond-slaves with something else in the
> current Debian bookworm?

What you describe is still the bonding driver, just without the use
of the "ifenslave" command. The very first reply to you in this
thread was from me pointing you at the teaming driver.

…which I have never used nor yet tried to use. But it *is* meant to
replace/succeed the bonding driver.

Thanks,
Andy