On Fri, Sep 25, 2026 at 09:40:15AM +0700, Max Nikulin wrote:
> On 24/09/2026 8:51 pm, tomas wrote:
> > > 
> > > Are there Name Services (notice: not *DNS*, but in broad sense here) other
> > > than "host" (that usually includes DNS among other means for hostname
> > > resolution) where partial failures are possible?
> > 
> > I don't know whether this
> > 
> >    
> > https://ldap.com/ldap-result-code-reference-core-ldapv3-result-codes/#rc-referral
> > 
> > counts as "partial failure", but if it does, then the answer would be
> > "yes, LDAP".
> 
> Sorry, I am not familiar with LDAP. The question is whether any libnss
> service requires to query more than one LDAP server in parallel to compose
> combined reply. Just "referral" sounds like redirection for me, so probably
> it is additional step in sequential series of queries. This case the result
> should be complete success or failure. I have no idea if e.g. passwd fields
> may be spread over several LDAP servers. At least libnss-ldapd contains no
> docs.

Yes, LDAP is... particular. But a referral (which might be just a part
of a response) may point to another server (well, "DSA", in LDAP parlance,
but it is a sequence of one or more URLs). So a complete answer may be
composed of bits and pieces gathered over more than one server.

Still no idea whether that "counts" (as I tried to express that above).

Cheers
-- 
t

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: PGP signature

Reply via email to