I am trying to generate some 'fake' input using xte (and then xdotool
which shows exactly the same issue). I can get most characters OK but in
this particular case I need to send some double-quote " characters and
these appear in the output as @.
So, for example:-
chris$ echo 'str string "quoted string" string' | xte
chris$ string @quoted string@ string
I thought at first it was a simple (!?) keyboard mapping problem and that
" and @ were swapped, but it's not that:-
chris$ echo 'str string @quoted string@ string' | xte
chris$ string qquoted stringq string
I have used xev to see what the keysym is for " and it tells me that it
is keysym 0x22 but that doesn't work either:-
chris$ xte 'key 0x22'
chris$ 2
chris$ xte 'key 0x32'
chris$ 2
I've tried xdotool as well but that exhibits the same problem.
I have even tried outputting all keysym codes from 0x20 to 0xFF and none
of them produces a ".
Can anyone suggest what the problem might be and/or a workaround which
will allow me to simulate typing some strings in "quotes" from a bash
script?
--
Chris Green
ยท