On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 12:49:50PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > [-- text/plain, size 0.7K, charset utf-8, 28 lines, encoding 
> > quoted-printable --]
> > 
> > On Tue, Sep 29, 2026 at 10:00:41AM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> > > I am trying to generate some 'fake' input using xte (and then xdotool
> > > which shows exactly the same issue). I can get most characters OK but in
> > > this particular case I need to send some double-quote " characters and
> > > these appear in the output as @.
> > > 
> > > So, for example:-
> > > 
> > >     chris$ echo 'str string "quoted string" string' | xte
> > >     chris$ string @quoted string@ string
> > 
> > [...]
> > 
> > Hm. No experience with xte; a tiny bit with xdotool. I'm not seeing
> > this:
> > 
> >   tomas@caliban:~$ xdotool type 'foo"bar'
> >   foo"bartomas@caliban:~$ foo"bar
> > 
> > (the doubling of foo"bar is due to the shell echo). So the " stays
> > a ".
> > 
> > What am I holding wrong?
> > 
> Nothing! :-)

Phew ;-)

>               However on my systems I see:-
> 
>     chris@q957$ xdotool type 'foo"bar'
>     foo@barchris@q957$ foo@bar

Hm. What is interesting is that on an US keyboard, the @ is in the
same place (shift-2) the German keyboard has the " (also on top of
the 2, in the upper digit row).

As if xdotool were using the "wrong keyboard". Have you tried an "y"
or, say, a slash ("/")?

Xdotool's man page doesn't mention scancodes, which could have been
a thread to pull on.

Sorry to not have a better idea...

Cheers
-- 
t

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: PGP signature

Reply via email to