More often than not, the web site customer is culpable. IOW, they were
either the spammer in disguise or they commissioned the spam, in order
to drive traffic to their web site -- usually to sell something.

For that reason, we extensively use the Declude filter file to list
those URLs, as well as telephone numbers and similar unique info in
the spam.  It works.

Under our terms of service and acceptable conduct policies, we'll
cancel a customer with a spamvertised web site. We've only had to do
it once and we noticed that the customer has changed hosts a couple of
more times since - wonder why . . .

Thanks,

Thursday, September 26, 2002, 7:36:35 AM, Smart Business Lists
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
SBL> Thursday, September 26, 2002 you wrote:
T>> But they're doing it the wrong way, both in concept and execution.

SBL> The big problem I see with Spam-Cop is the area of web site URL's
SBL> contained within user provided e-mail messages.

SBL> When I receive a notice from Spam-Cop that someone has reported a
SBL> message is spam and it contains a url from one of our servers I don't
SBL> really know what I am supposed to do. How can I prevent another party
SBL> from including a web site url from one of my servers in an e-mail
SBL> message? What should I tell my client? I've asked Spam-Cop and they
SBL> offer nothing. It is just the most incredibly stupid idea.

SBL> It isn't that we did nothing wrong - we did nothing at all - except
SBL> exist on the Internet.

SBL> Spam-Cop should either act to stop this nuisance activity or cease to
SBL> exist.

SBL> Terry Fritts

SBL> ---
SBL> [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus (http://www.declude.com)]

SBL> ---
SBL> This E-mail came from the Declude.JunkMail mailing list.  To
SBL> unsubscribe, just send an E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and
SBL> type "unsubscribe Declude.JunkMail".  The archives can be found
SBL> at http://www.mail-archive.com.

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         http://www.inetconcepts.net
PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
----