Thursday, September 26, 2002 you wrote:
DB> More often than not, the web site customer is culpable. IOW, they
DB> were either the spammer in disguise or they commissioned the spam,
DB> in order to drive traffic to their web site -- usually to sell
DB> something.

    I have not had one singe case reported to me from Spam-Cop where
    that was true. In every case an individual totally unrelated to
    the web site sent a message to someone else (also unrelated to the
    web site) which contained a url referencing one of our client's
    web sites. The web site operator had nothing to do with the e-mail
    and we certainly had nothing to do with the e-mail.

    Some of these have just been malicious attempts to get the web
    site in trouble usually because of some bias against a particular
    religious or political viewpoint apparently.

    As far as I am concerned it makes the efforts we take to prevent
    spam from issuing from our servers all the more trivial. I'm sure
    a lot of people know what I mean, too. You work hard, spend lots
    of money, investigate every case, all to prevent spam -- and then
    you are accused because someone chose to act in a malicious
    manner.  And it is beyond your control.

DB> For that reason, we extensively use the Declude filter file to
DB> list those URLs, as well as telephone numbers and similar unique
DB> info in the spam. It works.

    I just don't understand the logic in punishing the innocent for
    the sins of guilty.

DB> Under our terms of service and acceptable conduct policies, we'll
DB> cancel a customer with a spamvertised web site. We've only had to
DB> do it once and we noticed that the customer has changed hosts a
DB> couple of more times since - wonder why . . .

    The point is that these urls had nothing to do with spam except
    they were included in a message that was reported to spam-cop. In
    a way it is the same thing that is happening to spam-cop by
    spammers who use their url in spam. Except that every case that
    has been reported to me by spam-cop is from one individual to
    another - not spammers.

    That pretty much proves the point I'm making. You are punishing a
    completely innocent party for something they did not do and had no
    control over.

As much as I detest spam and as hard as I work to keep it from my
clients and certainly to keep it from originating from my servers I
feel strongly that the innocent have to be protected.

I am dismayed that people are so willing to ignore the plight of the
innocent in order to get the guilty.

Terry Fritts