-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dave Doherty
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 11:04 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] Distributed Dictionary Attack

The interesting thing about these messages is that the ones I've seen
generally don't have multi-hop trails. They look like a zombie
connecting directly to the mail server.

The blocklists are great, but at that volume, I can't run Declude on the
messages without killing the server.  So I seem to have two options,
both of which I am using: block the IPs before the server, and issue
invalid user errors.

One othe thing i noticed this evening that points to a coordinated
effort: There is very little duplication of the "to" addresses. The most
commonly duplicated address was used only about 150 times in a sample of
275,000 attempts.

This is a small domain, one of about 500 on my system, and it has maybe
eight or nine mailboxes.

Country sources include a lot of Korea and Taiwan, and I have actually
blocked some very large blocks of IP addresses in those places based on
the source IPs being well distributed. But there are a lot coming from
Canada and the US, also. I've seen a lot of the usual suspects -
Comcast, Road Runner, and Rogers.

-Dave

unsubscribe, just send an E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and type
"unsubscribe Declude.JunkMail".  The archives can be found at
http://www.mail-archive.com.