My own experience, and what appears to be David's, is that this stuff doesn't generally come in waves from just one machine. Collecting the IP's might be useful for blacklisting at a router level, but the list would be very long. Like Scott said earlier, this probably is just a spammer using a bad list of addresses that they gathered from attacking a domain with the nobody alias.

Dave, I'm just wondering how much load it is to be rejecting these messages at the HELO, provided that you have the nobody alias turned off. That's definitely a ton of load, but if IMail hangs up on it before the message is sent, I'm thinking that the resource hit won't be that bad.

If you want to save yourself some time, and don't get any legit Chinese or Korean traffic, there's a site that has this data in Cisco ACL format as well as others:

http://www.okean.com/asianspamblocks.html

Blackholes.us has text files for other countries, Taiwan for instance, but you would need to code this up for your router from what they provide.

Matt

Jason wrote:

Try running Black ICE on the server.  It does a pretty decent job of
auto blocking dictionary attacks.  We have it set to close and block a
connection after 6 invalid users from an ip in 30 seconds

Jason

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dave Doherty Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 11:04 PM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] Distributed Dictionary Attack

The interesting thing about these messages is that the ones I've seen generally don't have multi-hop trails. They look like a zombie connecting directly to the mail server.

The blocklists are great, but at that volume, I can't run Declude on the
messages without killing the server.  So I seem to have two options,
both of which I am using: block the IPs before the server, and issue
invalid user errors.

One othe thing i noticed this evening that points to a coordinated
effort: There is very little duplication of the "to" addresses. The most
commonly duplicated address was used only about 150 times in a sample of
275,000 attempts.

This is a small domain, one of about 500 on my system, and it has maybe
eight or nine mailboxes.

Country sources include a lot of Korea and Taiwan, and I have actually
blocked some very large blocks of IP addresses in those places based on
the source IPs being well distributed. But there are a lot coming from
Canada and the US, also. I've seen a lot of the usual suspects -
Comcast, Road Runner, and Rogers.

-Dave

--- [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus (http://www.declude.com)]

unsubscribe, just send an E-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and type
"unsubscribe Declude.JunkMail".  The archives can be found at
http://www.mail-archive.com.

-- ===================================================== MailPure custom filters for Declude JunkMail Pro. http://www.mailpure.com/software/ =====================================================

--- [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus (http://www.declude.com)]