> > Now one of our customers send a legit message trough our mailserver.
>
> Your  use of "legit" is confusing. Rephrased, an SPF TXT
> record _is_ a legitimate  use  policy. For the purposes of an
> SPF check, there is no greater arbiter of legitimacy than that record.

I specified "legit" in this case to simply indicate that the message is not
spam.
The current implementation of SPF will identify this message as FAIL because
it's coming from another IP then allowed in the SPF record.
If I have to allow in the SPF record that the message can come in from many
(all?) other IP's then the defensive function of SPF becomes pretty useless,
or not?

> > Wouldn't this create a wrong result for SPFFAIL?
>
> There  are  no  "wrong"  results  with SPF (provided the SPF
> parser is written  correctly).  If  you're  saying that you
> set up an SPF record that  will  cause a fail for an IP or
> PTR that isn't listed explicitly in  the  record,  and you
> send mail from such an IP, then a fail isn't wrong!  Either
> the policy is wrong outright, or you haven't created a setup
> in  which  you  can  use  non-SPF tokens (such as SMTP AUTH)
> to counteract the weight you're assigning to SPF FAIL.

So it's important to clarify that without SMTP-AUTH whitelisting or IP-RANGE
counterweighting Decludes SPF-implementation shouldn't be used with a strict
SPF record that indicates "to the rest of the world" that a legit message
from domain-xy.com should come only from our servers IP.

> > Do  I  have  to  whitelist  all  local users in order to
> avoid false positives.
>
> Well, what's a local user? If a local user is an AUTHed user,
> then use WHITELIST  AUTH; if a local user comes from a known
> IP range, then you can  whitelist  that IP if you think
> that's safe, or add that IP range to the SPF record (which
> will allow for sensitivity to other tests). I don't think
> "local user" is really such a helpful term, since it could
> cover   just   MAIL   FROM:   @example.com   (as   Declude   uses   in
> short-circuiting some tests), or something more "true."

A local user in my terms is anyone that connect to our server and both Imail
and Declude handle this as outgoing message. Remote users send (incomming)
messages that are delivered to local users.

Wouldn't be possible to let declude check for SPF-Records only for incomming
messages?

BTW: We use Imail v7 without the possibility to whitelist SMTP-AUTHenticated
users and without well defined IP ranges from which our customers connect
from.

Markus