Good question I did not think of that. Scott will have to answer.
I beleive that all message are incomming at one point.

1) User sends a message from client
2) the message is oncomming to SMTP
3) SMTP determines that it is for another server
4) It then becomes an outgoing message???

My Best Guess correct me if I am wrong.

Kevin