On 4/29/2010 5:50 PM, Nick Hayer wrote:
Hi Pete,

Question - is this blacklist info already contained withing any Sniffer test?  I am wondering about double dipping so to speak - if the info is within Sniffer which rulebase?

That's not an easy question --

If you are using SNF then your GBUdb node may agree with truncate.gbudb.net --- If it does then the message will be truncated by SNF if it gets through.

However, truncate.gbudb.net is a "cloud's view" of GBUdb -- so much of the time the data in truncate.gbudb.net is bigger than what you will have in your GBUdb node. That means that truncate.gbudb.net will be able to stop some traffic that your system has not yet seen.

So -- to summarize:

* If your system has a particular IP in truncate in your GBUdb node then it is very likely truncate.gbudb.net will also agree.

* If you system has no information on a particular IP then truncate.gbudb.net may be able to help you reject the connection anyway.

Think of truncate.gbudb.net as a very conservative "big picture" list of very bad IPs. Truncate will almost always know more than your system does for newer IPs.

Let me know if that answers the question.

Best,

_M