Nic Wise wrote:

> Remember, and Annie will hate me for saying this, but Delphi's CORBA
> stuff is licenced by the SERVER, not by the CLIENT (MIDAS is different,
> I think?).

Stepping into this conversation without actually reading the thread (sorry), the
answer to that is no - MIDAS is normally licensed per server as well. It gets a
little confusing - if you buy MIDAS then CORBA capability comes as part of the
package, but you can buy just CORBA on its own if you like. MIDAS can be licensed
per client though, and so can CORBA but it just depends - always talk to your
local Annie. I would be very careful to examine the cost/benefit of the situation
- usually MIDAS and/or CORBA work when you have one of two situations:

1) you have a one off which the customer is paying you for and writing a
marshalling layer (your own layer on top of sockets to move data) and an
intelligent data manipulation layer would be too expensive for a small job. This
would normally occur in a custom built package.

2) A package you are writing where you believe that you will sell volume, and
therefore can get volume discounts. Unless you are selling volume, then it is
usually unlikely that you can get them, but each situation differs so asking Annie
is a good thing.

> Get a replacement ORB for Visi - and there are loads out
> there for free - and your home free - or at whatever cost the ORB ends
> up being. I haven't tried this - and I dont know of anyone who has - but
> it SHOULD work, as they all use IIOP as the transport - thats exactly
> the POINT of CORBA!!!

Although this is true, there aren't any written in Delphi (have some free time
Nic? <grin>). The one used in Delphi is actually Visi for C++ and it has a COM
layer written on top of it. Because of the COM layer, it is heavily tied into Visi
for C++ and thus you are extremely unlikely to be able to place another ORB in
there.

> IMO, I'd go with Visi unless the cost was THE overriding factor -
> remember, there are always three things wanted - good (ie, low) price,
> on time, good (ie, high) quality. You can only ever have 2. :)

If you are looking at Java ORBs for the server, then there are a number of good
free ORBs around.

Richard
--
Richard Vowles, Senior Systems Engineer,
Inprise New Zealand