>That sounds pretty impressive. Are you using Corba or low level sockets?
>Corba of course has the disadvantage that it boosts some one else's bank
>account - probably to the detriment of mine. Is there a worthwhile margin in
>using Corba?

CORBA does have a cost, but it's a darn sight easier to work with than simple sockets.
Working with objects makes CORBA attractive too. The way that CORBA copes with state
nicely is nice. Database pooling and easy to use transaction context handling is a
nice feature too. I love not having to define crud like "the name of the machine the
server is connected to" -- Clients just say "help, I need to find an order server
somewhere".

One of the very important things about n-tier development is that it forces developers
to clearly define the interface between their UI and their business logic, that means
that reusing the business logic is now *simple* because the developers *can't* write
the business logic underneath a Form's OnClick event (where nobody else can get at it).

So, in addition to the HTML client I used for the order processing example, you could
develop a nice Win32 client in Delphi, or you could generate orders from (say) an XML
file emailed daily from your branch in Waihangamoocow -- all using the same business
logic server. Just lovely :-)

...plus all the things Nic listed.

EJB is making things even easier -- the idea that I don't have to cut any SQL at all
to get objects in and out of the database is rather appealing.

Cheers,
Kerry S

PS: I'm not saying this just because I'm an Inprise employee now - it really is pretty
sensible.