Also, interactive rebase often dirties a bunch of files unnecessarily - I
know they haven't changed, but the build system doesn't.

Basically, the best-effort approach of rebuilding directories saves a lot
of time for certain Gecko hackers like myself, and it would be really nice
if the libxul linking was preserved, if nothing else.