On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 08:43:53PM -0400, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
> On 2015-10-15 8:37 PM, Bobby Holley wrote:
> >On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 5:26 PM, Mike Hommey <m...@glandium.org
> ><mailto:m...@glandium.org>> wrote:
> >
> >    On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 05:21:44PM -0700, Bobby Holley wrote:
> >    > Will building in an arbitrary source directory continue to link
> > libxul? It
> >    > was really great when we stopped needing to build in toolkit/library
> > all
> >    > the time.
> >
> >    The point is, that doesn't reliably happen currently. You should
> >    just use mach
> >    build binaries, which will, reliably, and even better, only if needed.
> >

> >|mach build binaries| is much slower for me than the present behavior,
> >because I often hack on header files that are included all over the
> >tree, but whose #include-ers generally don't need to be rebuilt all of
> >the time.
>
> I have the exact same use case as Bobby and as such object to removing this
> feature.  Especially since it is unclear what we gain from removing it.

Consistency. Currently, when you do `mach build foo/bar`, you don't know
what's going to happen. Some people will get toolkit/library rebuild,
some won't. Or other directories. Or not.

"dumbmake" also breaks `mach build foo/bar/baz` when the expected outcome
is `make -C objdir/foo bar/baz` instead of `make -C objdir/foo/bar baz`.

Mike