I'm in the middle of a hectic business trip, so will write more while i"m on the plane home tonight.

The first thing to figure out, as Doug said, is how much support the project should provide Thunderbird. 5 minutes might be an obvious yes, as noted earlier. At some level the answer is an obvious "no." My clear recollection is that Brendan was of the view we had reached that point a while back, and that Thunderbird should be more separate from firefox-centric systems, not less. And that he was vehement about not merging the two repos.

In an ideal world I agree that separating the two so that Thunderbird team is not spending so much time dealing with Firefox systems is much better for thunderbird. I also suspect that this will become more true over time, not less. And I agree that Firefox and our new products will benefit from having a clean separation, and that we need all the forward momentum we can get if we are going to impact the state of the web in the future.

I'm not sure we're able to do this, so need to do some due diligence to figure out what the ideal world today is. I personally still live in Thunderbird, so am interested both for the sake of the thunderbird the open source project, and for my own personal daily experience.

As I said, more shortly, i'm running late now.

mitchell