On 10/26/2015 10:33 PM, Mitchell Baker wrote:
I'm in the middle of a hectic business trip, so will write more while i"m on the plane home tonight.

The first thing to figure out, as Doug said, is how much support the project should provide Thunderbird. 5 minutes might be an obvious yes, as noted earlier. At some level the answer is an obvious "no." My clear recollection is that Brendan was of the view we had reached that point a while back, and that Thunderbird should be more separate from firefox-centric systems, not less. And that he was vehement about not merging the two repos.

In an ideal world I agree that separating the two so that Thunderbird team is not spending so much time dealing with Firefox systems is much better for thunderbird. I also suspect that this will become more true over time, not less. And I agree that Firefox and our new products will benefit from having a clean separation, and that we need all the forward momentum we can get if we are going to impact the state of the web in the future.

I'm not sure we're able to do this, so need to do some due diligence to figure out what the ideal world today is. I personally still live in Thunderbird, so am interested both for the sake of the thunderbird the open source project, and for my own personal daily experience.

I think there is a general consensus among the Thunderbird developers that the ideal end goal of Thunderbird would be a heavily JS/HTML-based system that could be largely independent of Firefox and mozilla-central. But I should point out that there is a lot of inherent vagueness in that statement, and part of that vagueness is because it assumes a vision of a platform that Mozilla wants to provide that doesn't really exist at the moment.

Even if we agree that's the ideal end state, the problem is that it is quite a difference from the current reality, and the path to get there is measured in years. A lot of our current codebase is in C++, and it requires significant outlay of effort to replace those bits in JS (I say as one of the people making the herculean effort to actually port crufty, incomprehensible, poorly-written C++ to easy-to-understand JS paradigms). The current Gaia Email project has had years of effort to work on doing a similar task, and the fact that there is still lots of functionality missing in their work compared to what Thunderbird can do today is a sign of how hard it would be to get there, even if everyone worked their hardest and there were no problems caused by mozilla-central-induced bustage. Unfortunately, the sad reality is that the antics of Firefox development in recent months and years requires us to bind ourselves even tighter to Firefox in the short term (by which I mean the next several years) [1], and I rather suspect that there is no will (or maybe even ability) on the part of either mozilla-central or comm-central developers to make the changes required to reverse this process.

One grave concern I have about this thread and discussion is that people are being put in a position to decide the life or death of Thunderbird and are making a decision to keep Thunderbird alive which would in reality strangle it to death based solely on misinformation and misapprehensions about the current state of affairs, and I believe that such a decision would reflect badly on everyone involved. It is precisely that situation that I am most earnest to avoid, and it is my sincere belief that merging comm-central into mozilla-central is the best way forward (and quite possibly the only way forward that would not lead to the death of Thunderbird, sad as it is for me to admit that).

[1] An example from just this morning is the emasculation of nsIDOMWindow. It's clear at this point that all of our binary code has to be linked into libxul and equally clear that mozilla-central developers are likely to be unwilling to make the changes necessary to override that decision, and so we need the deep integration into the buildsystem and the codebase to make that happen.

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer