Hi Wayne,

As others have said, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

On 11/01/17 03:02, Wayne Thayer wrote:
> results even when the HTTP status code was not 200. Since many web
> servers are configured to include the URL of the request in the body
> of a 404 (not found) response, and the URL also contained the random
> code,

As you will know, the method being used by GoDaddy here corresponds
broadly to method 3.2.2.4.6 from ballot 169 - "Agreed-Upon Change to
Website". (Although this method is not currently in the Baseline
Requirements due to it being part of ballot 182 and having a related IPR
disclosure, at least one root store operator has suggested they are
going to require strict adherence to the methods listed in that ballot
by 1st March.)
https://cabforum.org/2016/08/05/ballot-169-revised-validation-requirements/

One of the sentences in 3.2.2.4.6 is the following:

"The entire Required Website Content MUST NOT appear in the request used
to retrieve the file or web page"

This sentence is there precisely because the problem which hit GoDaddy
was anticipated when the Validation WG was discussing the possible
problems with this validation method.

Has GoDaddy already, or is GoDaddy planning to, update its
implementation to conform to that requirement?

> We are currently unaware of
> any malicious exploitation of this bug to procure a certificate for a
> domain that was not authorized.

Does that mean "we have revalidated all the domains", or does it mean
"no-one has actively reported to us that someone else is using a
certificate for a domain name the reporter owns"?

> The customer who discovered the bug
> revoked the certificate they obtained, and subsequent certificates
> issued as the result of requests used for testing by Microsoft and
> GoDaddy have been revoked.

I would hope and assume that such testing was done using domains owned
by Microsoft and/or GoDaddy, or someone else whose permission you had
gained?

> authorization). We have re-verified domain control on every
> certificate issued using this method of validation in the period from
> when the bug was introduced until it was fixed.

How was that possible for all domains, as surely some domain owners will
have taken the necessary file down?

> A list of 8850
> potentially unverified certificates (representing less than 2% of the
> total issued during the period) was compiled at 10 PM PST on Monday
> Jan 9th.

How were you able to create that list? Do you store the HTTP status code
and content returned from the website, and just searched for non-200
codes? Or some other way?

Gerv