Here are some ideas for reasonable new/enhanced policies (rough
sketches to be discussed and honed before insertion into a future
Mozilla policy version):

1. If a CA operator (the entity whose audits and statements ensures
  compliance with BR, CCADB, Mozilla, etc. policy requirements) ceases
  operation without transferring the relevant assets and
  responsibilities, it must notify the CCADB and/or Mozilla and
  indicate which, if any, provisions are in place for ensuring orderly
  handling of issued certificate revocations etc. during a transition
  period.  Based on this Mozilla will decide when to remove the
  affected roots from its trust store, and if any protective filters
  will be added to ensure the wind down operator does not issue new
  certificates contrary to the wind down plan.  All CA operators are
  encouraged to have a pre-assessed contingency plan for this already
  on file within or along with its CP/CPS documents, such that Mozilla
  may express, before such an event, what the consequences for
  certificate holders and relying parties would be should the plan ever
  get invoked.

2. If a CA operator wishes to transfer operations control of a CA
  private key to a different CA operator not already accepted into the
  Mozilla root program for the applicable trust aspects (web, web EV,
  mail etc.), it must if at all possible delay the actual transfer of
  control or possession until Mozilla has received and processed such
  an application.  The gaining applicant may indicate in their
  application that the application is for the potential takeover of one
  or more existing roots (named or not at that stage).  It is
  explicitly noted that the contractual and economic aspects of such a
  transfer may happen before the actual transfer, making it easier to
  comply with financial and other regulations regarding disclosure of
  such a transaction.

3. If a CA operator organization has a significant change in its
  controlling ownership, it must notify Mozilla and/or the CCADB as
  soon as possible, with a confidential notification possibly preceding
  the public notification.  Mozilla shall be entitled to reassess its
  trust in the CAs operated by that CA operator based on the public
  reputation and public assurances made by the new owners.  It is
  explicitly noted that de facto authority over existing CA operator
  personnel, rather than de jure completion of a sale/merger/etc. is
  the relevant point in time, thus if possible, Mozilla should be
  notified (in confidence if need be) before that point.

4. If a CA operator organization changes only its formal legal
  structure while leaving the controlling ownership and other essential
  aspects intact, Mozilla considers this a minor event for which a
  simple update in the CCADB is sufficient.  This generally does not
  change the trust status of the CAs operated by that CA operator.