On 09/06/17 11:29, Rob Stradling wrote:
> These two certs share the same Name and Key.  Therefore, the signature
> on the first can be verified by the public key in the second; and vice
> versa.  And clearly the Subject Name in each one matches the Issuer Name
> in the other.  This means that the first chains to the second, and also
> that the second chains to the first.

And a certificate issued by either can chain to either?

Do we have any idea what NSS does with a cert like
https://crt.sh/?id=149444544 when it's presented in a bundle by a
webserver which includes an EE cert which chains up to
https://crt.sh/?id=12977063 ?

It seems like one potential (if perhaps never build path) might be:

EE -> 149444544 -> 149444544 -> 149444544 ... -> 149444544 -> 12977063

?

I sort of seem to remember Brian or someone saying that mozilla::pkix
ignores self-issued certificates, but I'd like to have a definitive word.

> The policy says:
> "All certificates that are capable of being used to issue new
> certificates, and which directly or transitively chain to a certificate
> included in Mozilla's CA Certificate Program, MUST be operated in
> accordance with this policy and MUST either be technically constrained
> or be publicly disclosed and audited."

How would you reword the policy to exclude self-issued certificates?

Gerv