> On Oct 2, 2019, at 3:27 PM, Peter Gutmann via dev-security-policy
> <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org> wrote:
>
> Ronald Crane via dev-security-policy <dev-security-policy@lists.mozilla.org>
> writes:
>
>> "Virtually impossible"? "Anyone"? Really? Those are big claims that need real
>> data.
>
> How many references to research papers would you like?  Would a dozen do, or
> do you want two dozen?

I would like to see one research paper published by one browser vendor to show
that website identity visual indicators can not work.

I’m not asking for an individual who tricked the system to get an EV cert -
that doesn’t prove anything in relation to visual indicators and the
effectiveness of well designed UI. It just proves that a specific process of
getting verified can be improved.

> (This has been researched to death, it's not rocket science, given a bit of
> time you can dig up vast numbers of references.  The only reason I haven't do
> it for this post is that I get the feeling I'd be wasting said time doing so).

I’ve been working on URL classification since I co-instigated the W3C Standard
in 2004. Here’s a link to where you can see one of the first browser add-ons we
built with visual indicators for more context around URLs
https://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/public/UseCases/Segala/
<https://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/public/UseCases/Segala/> Segala was the first
company I founded.

I’d love you to show me the type of research I’ve asked for. I’m open to
learning more. I’m not new to this game. I worked on integrated browsers and
search engines in the 90’s at AOL.