Github user mikewalch commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/accumulo/pull/291

    > Thoughts, @mikewalch ?

    In Accumulo 2.0, the system property `app` is no longer set. Instead, a
system property `accumulo.application` is set in
[accumulo-env.sh](https://github.com/apache/accumulo/blob/master/assemble/conf/accumulo-env.sh#L93)
 to something like `tserver_myhost` or `tserver2_myhost` if multiple instances
of a service are running.  The property `accumulo.application` is used to
configure log filenames and identify the application sending logs to monitor.
Below are uses of it in codebase:

    ```
    ./assemble/conf/accumulo-env.sh:
"-Daccumulo.application=${cmd}${ACCUMULO_SERVICE_INSTANCE}_$(hostname)")

./assemble/conf/log4j-monitor.properties:log4j.appender.file.File=${accumulo.log.dir}/${accumulo.application}.log

./assemble/conf/log4j-service.properties:log4j.appender.file.File=${accumulo.log.dir}/${accumulo.application}.log

./assemble/conf/log4j-service.properties:#log4j.appender.audit.File=${accumulo.log.dir}/${accumulo.application}.audit

./server/monitor/src/main/java/org/apache/accumulo/monitor/util/AccumuloMonitorAppender.java:
      socketAppender.setApplication(System.getProperty("accumulo.application",
"unknown"));
    ```

    I wanted to point the existence of `accumulo.application` but I am not
saying it should be used for this use case.  It makes sense for log4j but I can
see why @ctubbsii wants to get away from its use in Java.

---
with INFRA.
---